Former mlb players killed in Venezuela auto accident ‘staged by bandits’
Former major league players Luis Valbuena and Jose Castillo died automobile crash in Venezuela caused by highway bandits who then robbed them, officials said on Friday.
The 33-year-old Valbuena and 37-year-old Castillo died late on Thursday when their SUV crashed mainly because it made an effort to veer around a thing on the streets, Yaracuy state governor Julio Leon Heredia said on his Twitter account. Officials said some bandits place or throw objects on highways to push vehicles to halt or crash so as to rob the occupants.
Heredia said four folk have been detained after being found with property within the athletes.
‘We once suffered from plenty of fans’: baseball inside of a slump amid Venezuela crisis
Get more information
Valbuena and Castillo were teammates to the Cardenales de Lara team from the Venezuelan winter league and were returning with a game from the capital if your crash occurred on the way to town of Barquisimeto.
Third baseman Carlos Rivero is at the motor car and survived, in line with the website beisbolplay.
Valbuena, an 11-year major league veteran, hit .199 with nine homers and 33 RBIs in 96 games in 2010 for your New york Angels, who released him on 7 August.
“I will miss Luis’s banter, smile, genuine fascination with his teammates, and, obviously, the bat flips,” Astros manager AJ Hinch said inside a statement. “He had been a beloved person whether he was on our team or through the field.”
Valbuena hit .226 with 114 home runs over 11 big league seasons with all the Angels, Seattle, Cleveland, the Chicago Cubs and Houston.
“Luis was always smiling and was among the many happiest players in baseball,” Astros gm Jeff Luhnow said. “He provided joy to his teammates and our fans. He helped our franchise turn the back in 2019 and provided many cherished memories.”
Castillo played five seasons with Pittsburgh, Bay area and Houston. He has a .254 average with 39 home runs.
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said inside of a tweet: “I take part the mourning that’s got overwhelmed the Venezuelan baseball family and every one of its fans.”
Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred issued an assertion calling it “a very sad day for all our sport”.
“It is see-through by every one of the stories today how they loved baseball producing an effect on their own teammates along with the clubs they represented,” he was quoted saying, expressing “my deepest condolences for their families, friends and fans, specially those into their native Venezuela”.
On Friday afternoon, the coffins while using players’ bodies found its way to Antonio Herrera Gutierrez stadium in Barquisimeto where they were received amid tears by their teammates. A mass took place to bid them goodbye.
The Venezuelan professional baseball league announced all three scheduled games Friday were cancelled and yes it said flags will fly at half-staff to all stadiums for three days.
League president Juan Jose Avila told Union Radio players could possibly be forbidden from utilizing private cars to go between games, saying in case the players has been for the team bus, “nothing may have became of them”.
Venezuelan teams generally travel in buses protected by security forces.